You are currently viewing Small claim action (shogaku-sosho)in Japan

Small claim action (shogaku-sosho)in Japan

In the case you make small claim against a person ( “Ms. D )” in Japan, you need to present a petition to court house that has jurisdiction over Ms.D’s address.

And depending on category of small claim, you can make it at other court house, too.

You need to submit petition, fee for court house ( revenue stamp ), postal fee ( court house needs to send duplicate of petition to Ms.D by post ), documents to be attached.

You can submit them by post or in person in court house.
In the case of small claim procedure, trial date shall be finished at one day. So you need to prepare all proof at that trial date.

After you have submitted petition etc, court house will designate trial date. If Ms. D does not attend trial date and you have provide enough proof that can prove your claim, you will win the lawsuit.