You are currently viewing Making A will ( Yuigon ) in Japan

Making A will ( Yuigon ) in Japan

Necessity of a will in Japan

When you live in Japan, it is better to know about inheritance process of law of Japan. Even if you are younger than me, you will die within 80 years. In some countries, there is system of  “”Right of Survivorship “”. However there is not system in Japan. You need to make preparation before you pass away. Assumed that you own real estate in Japan. Basically as far as real estate that is located in Japan is concerned, even if the deceased is not Japanese national, law of Japan shall be applied to inheritance. Assumed the deceased ( assumed Mr.P ) has a wife and 2 children. Statutory percentage of inheritance is as below. Wife 50% of ownership Child 1 : 25 % Child 2 : 25 % So, when Mr.P has deceased without a will nor agreement among wife and children, P’s wife inherits 50% of ownership. In the case persons ( foreign national ) shares ownership of real estate in Japan and if one of owner dies without making a will,  share of ownership is object of division among all statutory heirs. If the person made a will, it is prior to agreement of division. In the event  X, Y, Z is statutory heirs and if the deceased ( Mr.p ) made a will that indicates only X inherits the legacy, even if X, Y, Z have made other agreement, content of a will is prior to such agreement. So, if Mr.p hopes that only X inherits the real estate, he will make a will. Death of Chinese, Korean, Singaporean etc. and inheritance procedure ➡ “

Formality of of a will ( = yuigon )

It is stipulated in “” Act on the Law Applicable to the Form of Wills “”. Article 2 A will shall be valid in terms of form, style if its form complies with any of the following laws: (i) the law of the place where the act ( = make a will ) was performed; (ii) the law of the country where the testator had nationality, either at the time he/she made the will or at the time of his/her death; (iii) the law of the place where the testator had domicile, either at the time he/she made the will or at the time of his/her death; (iv) the law of the place where the testator had habitual residence, either at the time he/she made the will or at the time of his/her death; or (v) in the case of a will concerning real property, the law of the place where the real property is located. In the case X files registration of ownership transfer caused by inheritance, she needs to submit a will to legal affairs bureau in Japan. So, it will be better to make a will based on the law of Japan. As for form of a will, it is stipulated as below. In civil code ( Minpou ) of Japan    Article 967 Mr. P can make a will by holograph document, notarized document, or sealed and notarized document; provided that this shall not apply to the case where it is permissible to use a special method. And a Will by Holograph Document is the easiest way.

How to make a Will by Holograph Document

Article 968 (1) To make a will by holograph document the testator ( Mr.P ) must write the entire text, the date, and his/her name in his/her own hand and affix his/her seal or signature ( in the case of foreign national ). However, in the case Mr.P has deceased, all heirs need to submit the will and receive authorization from court house. In this authorization process, X, Y, Z need to submit certificate that can specify all statutory heirs. If there is not system of family register ( in most of countries, there is not such system ), it is not easy to collect such document.

A notarized will should be better

So, Mr.P can ask notary public ( in Japan ) to make a will. Even if Mr.P can not understand  Japanese language, if he can visit notary public office with interpreter, he can make a notarized will ( Kosei shosho yuigon ). In the case of a notarized will, after Mr.P’s death, heirs do not need to acquire authorization from court house. They can use the will without any process ( they still need to submit document that can certify Mr.P’s death ). I will assist you to make a notarized will